[Debian-l10n-devel] What to backup?

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) faw at debian.org
Mon Jul 14 04:54:18 UTC 2008

On 13-07-2008 03:02, Christian Perrier wrote:
> /home/bubulle entirely

	OK, so I excluded the entire /home from backups and
also removed them from the already made copies, let's do the
other way around, please, if you want some scripts or
experimental things from your $HOME copied, let me know where
to look and I will take care of the rest. :-)

> in /home/eddyp, there's a giant mail directory which is probably never
> read. Eddy, couldn't you forward your mail to your mail address?

	This is probably due to the crontabs.

> Eddy has "public_html/compendiums/po" which is obviously
> auto-generated. However, I think that this compendium stuff should now
> go in a general area more than eddy's home.

	I saw some errors from CRON, are you working on this?

> Grisu's home is empty, except a Maildir that seems old and would just
> need some cleaning.
>
> Nicolas seems to have quite a bunch of old stuff that could be cleaned
> out. He has his RRD stuff in his home, which is apparently no longer
> updated (this was moved to a general area)

> In Thomas Huriaux home, there are things that were updated by his cron
> jobs....which got disabled by Nicolas as of June 18th. The latest
> modified files are dates June 18th. So, in short, everything can
> probably be removed. For sure, you don't need to back this up.

	Yes, but all files that don't change don't hurt, after
copied the first time, they are just symlinked, the big problem
comes if the files are *totally* regenerated, but if it uses
some meta data or if it can be regenerated from material, then
there is no point in backing up the results, just the tools and
source files necessary to recreate it. :-)

> Martijn's home is 136Mb and it is not obvious to guess what's outdated
> or not there....
>
> Luk Claes has a home on churro, which is empty...

	BTW, thanks for the overview. :)

> Communication between us
> ------------------------
> Folks who have an account on churro, could you subscribe to
> debian-l10n-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org ? Of course, in case this is
> something you haven't already done..:)
>
> For thos of you who do IRC, I also suggest you hook up on #debian-i18n
> on irc.debian.org, preferrably permanently if you have the needed
> setup (IRC proxy, screened irssi client). Having that IRC channel as
> an easy way to communicate between us would be good.

	Christian, you use beep-beep.pl on a remote host with
screen+ssh?

Kind regards,
- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)