[Debian-l10n-devel] Reducing the time gap to update the stats pages

Nicolas François nicolas.francois at centraliens.net
Mon Jun 2 22:25:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 06:41:41AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> As of now, it seemms to me that pages like
> http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po-debconf/fr
> are updated quite late after packages are installed in the archive.
>
> For instance, the French stats show mailagent as incomplete while the
> updated package was uploaded on May 31st by Manoj....
>
> I don't exactly remember how these stats are generated. It involves
> churro, IIRC, but not only.

I don't know neither how the web stats are generated.

I think they are using the unstable material (the unstable.gz in the data/
directory).

To reduce the delay, the only right way I see would be to generate the
stats from churro and push them to the we site, or just to have a link
from the web site to churro.

I could also send a trigger to a robot to the web site host, but I find
this too complex.

On churro, some cron job are scheduled after the others because we know
there are some dependencies. It might be better to have a superset script
which deals with the scheduling. This might avoid some issues if a job
takes more time than expected, and this might reduce the delay needed to
receive the result of the jobs (I usually don't care since I'm sleeping at
that time)

> And, anyway, the way these pages are updated *should* be documented
> somewhere. For me, this is kinda black magic and being the de facto
> i18n guru, I don't like that..:-)

I agree, and I added recently links to this mailing list to the web pages
generated on churro, and I try to make sure the scripts used to generate
stats are available publicly.

> Nicolas, that's probably for you, again...

I will try to find a web guy to check how it works (not before this
week-end).

Cheers,
--
Nekral