[Debian-l10n-devel] on the size of ftp..dists..i18n

Nicolas François nicolas.francois at centraliens.net
Sun Feb 15 13:42:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 11:12:28PM +0000, Michael Bramer wrote:

> > If you could get rid of the gzip and uncompressed version (and if the
> > above example is representative) you could cut down the change by
> > over 80% to a meager 16% of what you use now.
> >
> > Is that an option?
>
> We can remove the other files, or use apt, aptitute, some random util
> the other files?

Sorry Michael, I did not really get your answer.
Do you mean we can safely remove these files because apt and aptitute will
just be happy is there are only the .bz2 files?
(apt* and packages.debian.org are also the only tools I know which use the
translations, and these tools are OK if there is only a bz2 file; I also
do not expect any breakage (other than a translation not being displayed))

To complete the removal of the non compressed and .gz files, we need to
update the ddtp_i18n_check.sh script we provided to ftpmasters during
Debconf.
(We should also update our version)
It ends with:
                bzip2 -c "$f" > "$f.bz2"