[Debian-l10n-devel] Translations cleanup

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Wed Jun 9 16:48:07 UTC 2010

Quoting Arne Goetje (arne.goetje at canonical.com):

> >I might have looked past some nuance here.
> >If we place fr_FR in fr.po in some cases and have fr_CA.po as diffs to
> >that and in some other cases we have fr_CA in fr.po and fr_FR.po as diff
> >to that I think we might have a messy situation on our future hands.
> >
> >For most languages I would guess that there won't be much of a problem
> >to determine to use one "version" as the top level (fr_FR as fr and then
> >diffs (fr_CA?) where needed).
>
> This would be preferred, I think. I just picked this example,
> because Christian mentioned the case, where only fr_CA is available
> for French. Then it needs to be decided what is preferred. Either
> keep fr_CA as default for French and make a diff for fr_FR, or rip
> fr_CA apart, build a new fr.po with common strings and the rest
> leave as diff and fill up the remaining strings in fr.po with fr_FR
> ones.

Onmy case by case basis, I think, with some rules that could help
solving most cases:

- if there's only one <langcode>_YY.po file and no <langcode>.po file,
automatically rename the file to <langcode>.po with the following
exceptions:
  pt_BR, zh_TW, zh_CN

- if there's <langcode>.po and <langcode>_*.po files, keep the
variants as is (eventually only as diffs) *unless* they carry the same
translations

- if two or more variants exist and are identical, rename them to
<langcode>.po

- if two or more variants exist with <langcode>.po and they are
different, no automated way to deal with this seems possible.