[Debian-l10n-devel] Thoughts about DDTP (Was: Number of requests for DDTP)

Aron Xu happyaron.xu at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 07:48:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 08:07:20AM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> >I'm very very curious about the options about the main interface, :-)
>
> If you need something, ask...  We will help...
>
> >For me I can't fetch translations which already have an owner, but DDTSS
> >can. So there must be many things not being written down...
>
> If you need it, we can add something like a 'force' option...

It's weekend again, so I have some time to work on DDTP...

First, force option on the mail interface is appreciated; second, I'd
like to get po files from DDTP with a slightly changed format (details
below); third, I want to know if I can submit translations using po
files directly?

I remember Michael asked about how often do I need those files and how
often will I submit translations back. For the latter question, I submit
translations randomly, because verifying translations need manual work.
It's foreseeable that every month we can submit 100-400 translations,
with proofreading work done, the number varies because it depends on the
number of community contributors and the time of reviewers. I assume
this won't cause a rather obvious impact on ddtp.debian.net's machine.

For the former one, I think it'll be great to generate all po files for
a time, and generate files that have been updated monthly. (I'm okay if
it updates daily, but don't think it's possible?) Or you provide some
way for me to access the database (dump is okay), kindly help me set up
the needed thing, then I can run it on a local sever so it won't impact
ddtp.debian.net.

Here's the information about the po file format I need:
1. Short description is in a separated msgid.
2. Long description are split into separated msgid according to the
empty lines (.) in the description.

For example gedit:
 gedit is a text editor which supports most standard editor features,
 extending this basic functionality with other features not usually
 found in simple text editors. gedit is a graphical application which
 supports editing multiple text files in one window (known sometimes as
 tabs or MDI).
 .
 gedit fully supports international text through its use of the Unicode
 UTF-8 encoding in edited files. Its core feature set includes syntax
 highlighting of source code, auto indentation and printing and print preview
 support.
 .
 gedit is also extensible through its plugin system, which currently
 includes support for spell checking, comparing files, viewing CVS
 ChangeLogs, and adjusting indentation levels.

And I expect this produces four msgid in the po files:
#. Translators: This is the short description.
#.
#: gedit
#: short
msgctxt "short"
msgid "official text editor of the GNOME desktop environment"
msgstr ""

#. Translators: This is the long description part 1.
#.
#: gedit
#: long part 1
msgctxt "long1"
msgid ""
"gedit is a text editor which supports most standard editor features, "
"extending this basic functionality with other features not usually "
"found in simple text editors. gedit is a graphical application which "
"supports editing multiple text files in one window (known sometimes as
"
"tabs or MDI).\n"
msgstr ""

#. Translators: This is the long description part 2.
#.
#: gedit
#: long part 2
msgctxt "long2"
msgid ""
"gedit fully supports international text through its use of the Unicode
"
"UTF-8 encoding in edited files. Its core feature set includes syntax "
"highlighting of source code, auto indentation and printing and print
preview "
"support.\n"
msgstr ""

#. Translators: This is the long description part 3.
#.
#: gedit
#: long part 3
msgctxt "long3"
msgid ""
"gedit is also extensible through its plugin system, which currently "
"includes support for spell checking, comparing files, viewing CVS "
"ChangeLogs, and adjusting indentation levels.\n"
msgstr ""

--
Regards,
Aron Xu