[Debian-l10n-devel] Thoughts about DDTP (Was: Number of requests for DDTP)

Aron Xu happyaron.xu at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 07:53:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 09:53:56PM +0200, Martijn van O wrote:
> I thought it was a good story you wrote, I was wondering where it was
> going next. I do have questions though.
>
> On 1 August 2011 20:54, Aron Xu <happyaron.xu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The first thing Bob noticed, is "Select a language". Then he selects his
> > language, zh_CN for example:
> > [3]http://ddtp.debian.net/ddtss/index.cgi/zh_CN
>
> <snip>
>
> > Then he goes back to page [3]. "Oh, gosh, what I've worked are just
> > suggestions? to whom? I don't know!" He feels a bit tired, and makes a
> > cup of tea/coffee then goes back to read the texts he ignored just now.
>
> Why do you say "suggestions"? Where does it say that? I'm still fuzzy
> on the distinction. I get the feeling there is no *practical*
> difference but it's a difference in how people feel about what they
> do?

Sorry, I meant he thinks his translations can't get into the database
directly, and knowing there aren't some specific reviewers, so he thinks
his translations will get ignored. Actually, all those translations in
zh_CN *are* ignored unless they fake three people (changing account, ip
address, etc), we don't have three people working on DDTSS at any time.

> > Thirty minutes pasts, "OK, I give up, it's too complex, though the
> > experience is exciting."
>
> And I'm surprised someone reads the documentation. I would have
> suspected most people just start translating without reading
> anything... Seriously, I would have thought the process was obvious.
> As a new user I'd start with reviewing since that's far simpler than
> translating.

Reviewing is easier, but the web UI design has silently suggested them
to translate, AFAIK.

--
Regards,
Aron Xu