[Debian-l10n-devel] DDTSS quirks...

Martin Eberhard Schauer Martin.E.Schauer at gmx.de
Tue Aug 30 08:00:04 UTC 2011

Hi Bubulle,

first of all: Don't worry, be happy! (It could be worse). And
wait a little bit - DDTSS 2.0 seems to be close to release.
> I'm using the DDTP stats page
> (http://ddtp.debian.net/stats/stats-sid.html) to decide about which
> packages to translate to French in the DDTSS.

More serious:

As already stated somewhere else (this list or l10n-devel) I did some
scripting based on "The Italian Script" by Davide and recent
popcon-by-vote data to generate several lists for my personal use.
I think that it's little effort to adapt the scripts to take a language
as parameter and generate lists for other languages as well.
If there is interest in the scripts, I could translate the comments
and publish them.

However, I'm afraid that they will soon be obsolete as the new
system offers gazillions of options
> I actually use the packages suggested when moving the mouse over the
> "PopconRank" cell for French. Right now, these packages are:
>
> libevent-1.4-2, libdbd-mysql-perl, lvm2, gedit-plugins,
> default-jre-headless, yelp, libxcb-dri2-0, default-jre, libgsm1,
> libv4l-0, libsox-fmt-alsa, libwavpack1, libgsf-1-114,
> libcanberra-gtk3-0, libsm-dev, mono-gac
>
> (this will change after the next bi-daily run on ddt* scripts on churro)
>
> Strangely, some of these cannot be fetched by DDTSS: for instance
> gedit-plugins, default-jre, etc. while others are fine (I just loaded
> libsm-dev this morning for instance). These packages that can't be
> fetched are "sitting" here for weeks and slowly, they are filling in
> that suggestion list.
>
> So, I suspect a glitch somewhere in the code but I don't know which one.

I think it has something to do with new package versions. When
a new package version is uploaded, it seems that for some time
it appears in your stats page - even when there are no description
changes. (Maybe that they weren't biuld yet).

If you can't fetch descriptions it may also be a matter of time -
sometimes you just have to wait for some hours. But that's surely
not the point. The system grabs descriptions for sid - perhaps the
description is not part of sid. However, there is  workaround.

You can get your descriptions starting at
http://ddtp.debian.net/<$character>.html.

Lets take a2jmidid as an example. Follow the link.

http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?package=a2jmidid

Download your version:
http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=76242&getuntrans=fr

sed -i 's/Description-fr/Description-fr.UTF-8/' $your_file_name

Translate, use the mail interface and try to pull it in for review.

Perhaps "pull in for review" might not work.
> PS: as side comment, I really would like to see lib* and *-dev
> packages be given less weight. Of course, they have a high popcon
> score, but that's expected for library packages....while end users
> don't often really care about these.

Should be quite easy to acomplish - changing weight for some
criteria in names ending with -dev. Martijn?

Might shuffle cards in the stats competition.

Cheers,
        Martin