[Debian-l10n-devel] Description-less packages file

Vincent Danjean vdanjean.ml at free.fr
Mon Nov 14 07:48:02 UTC 2011

Le 14/11/2011 02:20, Steve McIntyre a écrit :
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 10:39:02PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
>>
>> I just merged a patch from Ansgar to generate the Packages files without
>> the English description embedded inside them. Instead they are now
>> written into a new file, the "English Translation" file in
>> "main/i18n/Translation-en.bz2". They thus appear alongside all other
>> translated descriptions as "just another language". apt&  co will (or
>> should) just download those Translation files to show the description,
>> as they do already for all other languages.
>> This lets us save quite a bit of space on our mirrors by not repeating
>> them as many times as we have architectures - and also enables
>> non-English-speaking users (and eventually multi-arch enabled APT) to
>> save on download size, as they no longer need to download a language
>> that is of no use to them or is already there.

What happens to people using "Acquire::Languages {"none"; } ;" to avoid
to download any other languages than the default one that was included
in the main Package file? [1]

Should they switch to "Acquire::Languages {"en"; } ;" (or any other
language)?
What will happen if they do nothing? (ie how 3rd-party tools will react
if no description is available)?

   Regards,
     Vincent

[1] side note: it took me a long time to figure that, in order to not
download any translation files, I need the apt setup
(Acquire::Languages {"none"; }) but I *also* need to manually remove any
*Translation* files in /var/lib/apt/lists/

Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean at debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87
Unofficial pkgs: http://moais.imag.fr/membres/vincent.danjean/deb.html
APT repo:  deb http://people.debian.org/~vdanjean/debian unstable main