[Debian-l10n-devel] DDTSS broken (was: Description-less Packages indices)

Martin Eberhard Schauer Martin.E.Schauer at gmx.de
Tue Feb 21 22:20:56 UTC 2012

Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Davide Prina (davide.prina at gmail.com):
>> the DDTSS is totally broken :-(
>>
> When this change happened, I somehow secretly expected someone to step
> up and try fixing the DDT* things. ...  So, as many, I discovered the problem
> when it happened. not immediately as, at the same time,
> i18n.debian.net was broken too.
>
> Nobody stepped up, which indeed proves how fragile is our system (and
> that includes i18n.debian.net being fragile).

Perhaps the white knight is Cyril Brulebois (1). A problem is
that very few people know where the code is hosted - the bug was
filed against  www.debian.org. If we are lucky, reassigning
to debian-i18n will speed up things.
> As I can't magically fix all this by myself, I think that the only
> choice I have is detailing the simple alternative we have:
>
> - revert the change that drop long descriptions from Packages files
>
> - live with the localization effort of packages descriptions being
>    broken and several localization teams demotivated

... especially the most active ones until now

The next step after fixing the bug will be cleaning the database
from about 30+K useless entrys.

1: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=no&bug=657557#17