[Debian-l10n-devel] DDTP and i18n related services - perhaps OT

Martin Eberhard Schauer Martin.E.Schauer at gmx.de
Sat Jun 16 11:49:57 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I appreciate very much your work on the reliability of the DDTP
infrastructure.

Perhaps you can solve a problem that is personally annoying me (1):
existing translations for (stable) package descriptions are not
displayed when querying packages.debian.org.

I don't know why. I see one possible reason:
  - packages.debian.org uses the Translation-xx.bz2 files that
    are not updated.

Thus a lot of work does not reach the users: The Italian team
finished more than 700 package descriptions for Squeeze this
year! And that's just a side effect as its focus is Squeeze.

I'm aware that many Debian users which provide popcon data
use unstable/testing systems. But I believe that the end of
lifetime for Squeeze will be at about ($now + two years) from
now. Therefore I'm convinced that providing a new
Translation-xx file at least for every point-release of (old-)stable
is a good idea.

I'm not yet familiar with cron - but the solution is just another
crontab entry?

Cheers,
    Martin