[Debian-l10n-devel] [Translate-devel] Looking at translate-toolkit 1.10

Leandro Regueiro leandro.regueiro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 08:23:08 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 4:58 AM, Stuart Prescott <stuart at debian.org> wrote:
> Dear translate-toolkit developers,
>
> Firstly, thanks for releasing a new and shiny translate toolkit -- wonderful
> work! In coercing the new version into Debian packages, I've found a few
> things I need to talk to you about. I assume I will have more to ask about in
> the future, but this looks like a sufficiently long list to be getting on with
> right now.
>
> cheers
> Stuart
>

> ** langmodels **
>
> The location of the .lm files in the package is a little mysterious to me. They
> have been shipping in translate/share/langmodels with in the python module
> namespace (they probably should be in /usr/share/translate or similar instead,
> but it's not too bad as it is). I'm not sure whether it is changes to setup.py
> or distutils, but they are now ending up in "share/langmodels" within the
> python module namespace. The changes to get_abs_data_filename() make me
> think that it is intended although probably in "/usr/share/langmodels" not
> within the module namespace. I'm unconvinced that translate-toolkit should
> take over "share" which is very a generic word in the python module namespace
> so I will try to push them off into /usr/share instead... but I will obviously
> need to contemplate carefully how to move them and how to test that change.
>
> Jakub Wilk pointed out that these lm files have traditionally had encoding
> problems and I can see that we have the same problem with (at least) the
> polish lm file in translate toolkit [1].
>
> [1]     http://bugs.debian.org/703942
>
> This led me to wonder if
>         (a) translate-toolkit should perhaps import newer language models from
> upstream [2]
>         (b) translate-toolkit could make use of the code in this library (there
> are of course sometimes advantages in competing implementations), and
>         (c) the debian packages could/should use the libexttextcat-data package
> directly [3].
>
> [2] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/libexttextcat/tree/langclass/LM
> [3] http://bugs.debian.org/703943
>
> Your thoughts on how we could proceed with that (in the long term) would be
> most welcome. Doing both (a) and (c) such that ttk follows upstream closely
> and the data is deduped seems reasonable from my naïve point of view (and (c)
> is much easier if (a) happens!).
>
> Could you also confirm whether share/stoplist-en is the work of translate-
> toolkit authors (and GPL'd) or whether it, like the lm files, has been imported
> from elsewhere? (it appeared as a largely complete file in svn r8066 but that
> doesn't tell me if it was just developed outside the VCS or if it has been
> borrowed)
>

> ** documentation **
>
> The overhaul of your documentation system is huge. It's evident that quite a
> lot of work has gone into this. With such a large change, there are always
> going to be some minor niggles...

AFAIK the most of the docs just were converted from wiki to reStructuredText.

> Is there a source file somewhere from which tbx_levels_structure.png was
> generated? It looks like the sort of line art that was created using a vector
> drawing tool (inkscape? libreoffice?) and not something where the PNG was drawn
> directly. It would be great if the preferred form for modification (such as an
> svg, xcf or odt file) were included in the source tree.

I created that image using Dia and exported to PNG in order to attach
it to the wiki. Now that the docs are in reStructuredText it makes
sense to have the original document in the VCS too. I will have to see
if I can find the original or create another document for this.