[Debian-l10n-devel] Using LLMs to automte translations in Debian?
Otto Kekäläinen
otto at debian.org
Fri Jul 31 07:59:20 BST 2026
Hi,
There were no replies in this thread and browsing
https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/debian-l10n-devel/ suggests
this list is pretty quiet. Does anyone here have recommendations for
which list I should post on to get feedback on this?
- Otto
On Tue, 30 Jun 2026 at 23:37, Otto Kekäläinen <otto at debian.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> (I am not subscribed to this list, please include me in replies)
>
> Are there any efforts underway to build systems or tools that leverage
> LLMs to translate content for Debian?
>
> LLMs seem to be mature enough to do a pretty good job at translations,
> and I recently used them to update and complete all translations in
> dbconfig-common
> (https://salsa.debian.org/debian/dbconfig-common/-/merge_requests/14).
> None of that was package-specific. All packages in Debian share the
> same Gettext system and translation formats and LLMs seem to handle
> them pretty well. I would kind of be surprised if nobody already had
> started building automation around this for Debian. Alongside the
> automation and tools there should perhaps also be an agreed upon
> process on how to efficiently or sufficiently review all the
> translations, as I suspect the main bottle-neck will be reviews, not
> translations themselves.
>
> - Otto
More information about the Debian-l10n-devel
mailing list