[debian-lan-devel] testing wheezy CD

Andreas Schockenhoff asc at gmx.li
Tue Mar 26 13:03:31 UTC 2013

Hi Andi,

Am 26.03.2013 11:05, schrieb Andreas B. Mundt:
> The router solution is also a possible way. But I have not seen the
> documentation for this. I prefer my  simpler DHCP solution.
> That's perfectly fine.  If you choose an identical IP address for
> gateway and mainserver, debian-lan will configure two interfaces, one
> for the internal network, one for the external one (connection via
> DHCP). Cf. class/SERVER_A.var:
>
>     ## Variables that define the network.  If you choose the same IP
>     ## address for mainserver ($MAINSERVER_IPADDR) and gateway ($GATEWAY),
>     ## the mainserver is configured as gateway to the external network.
>     ## You'll need two network cards in that case.
>     MAINSERVER_IPADDR="10.0.0.10"
>     GATEWAY="10.0.0.1"
>     BROADCAST="10.0.255.255"
>     NAMESERVER_IPADDR=""  # leave empty to use mainserver's IP address
>
> This happens in scripts/SERVER_A/10-misc:
>       if [ "$MAINSERVER_IPADDR" != "$GATEWAY" ] ; then ...
>
> However, the CD image is prepared with the defaults as shown above,
> only one interface.  I could prepare an image with
> MAINSERVER_IPADDR==GATEWAY (just modify MAINSERVER_IPADDR in
> class/SERVER_A.var and rebuild the CD image)....
I will try to modify the CD.

May be that should be the default start config on the CD. :-)
It is compatible to the most Networks and a private Network with our own
DHCP
server makes it easy to start in virtual and real networks.
And the CD I think is mostly for beginners.

The only risk is to start the dhcp server in the wrong network. May be
that can be
tested in the future.
>> Backports are not supported in wheezy in this moment? May be we
>> disable them for
>> a while. :-)
> They should be available:
>       <URL:https://lists.debian.org/debian-backports-announce/2013/03/msg00000.html>
>
> The idea is to prepare a debian-lan-config package as soon as wheezy
> is released and upload it to backports.

OK make sense.

bye Andreas