[debian-lan-devel] Debian-LAN: installing a complete network environment

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 11:32:39 UTC 2013

Besides "webmin" for master system based authentication, such as Samba or
ypbind work well with? It's workflow dependent. It's not as powerful or
complex as some, but the user interface is pretty good and it's a model of
modularity. I've not had the opportunity to use "swat" with the latest
Samba releases, though it's built in and the developers have paid some
attention with the current release to re-integrate it better since the
Samba release went from 3.x to 4.0.x.

If you're actually going to manage accounts, you have to pick a workflow,
for centralized or localized account management,and propagate them. I tend
to prefer a centralized account mangement system, to control little things
like consistent account names and uids across the enviornment, and avoiding
uid conflicts with previously generated application accounts, demand this.
But you probably know those problems.

I do recommend "webmin" as an example of how to write open source GUI's.
Each module is quite specific, the displays are lightweight and based on
consistent layout standards and legible, and they allow drilling down to
adjust critical details. They also try to use the system's own built-in
config files, rather than complex and inherently destabilizing separate
database backends with inherent impedance matching between the featues of
the config files and the supported features of the database.

For *evaluating* GUI's, I'd go read Eric Raymond's essay on "The Luxury of
Ignorance", with open source GUI guidelines at the end and few of my
suggested guidelines he added, as a postscript.