[debian-lan-devel] Debian-LAN wheezy iso (20140302) didn't work

Andreas B. Mundt andi at debian.org
Thu Mar 27 16:50:26 UTC 2014

Hi Franklin!

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 01:10:15PM +0800, Franklin Weng wrote:
[...]
> > Many thanks for your feedback. Hopefully we can find the reason for
> > grub failing to install and fix it.
>
> Here are some logs from my last failed installation:  (I eliminated some ok
> messages and left failed messages)
> Detail log files please go to
>
> ftp://goodhorse.idv.tw/fai.tar.gz

Many thanks for providing the logs, that's great!

I had a look at fai.log and at the beginning of the installation it
reads:

[...]
Updating base
Err http://http.debian.net wheezy Release.gpg
  Could not resolve 'http.debian.net'
Err http://security.debian.org stable/updates Release.gpg
  Could not resolve 'security.debian.org'
Err http://http.debian.net wheezy-updates Release.gpg
  Could not resolve 'http.debian.net'
Err http://http.debian.net wheezy-backports Release.gpg
  Could not resolve 'http.debian.net'
Reading package lists...
W: Failed to fetch
http://http.debian.net/debian/dists/wheezy/Release.gpg  Could not resolve 'http.debian.net'

W: Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/Release.gpg  Could not resolve 'security.debian.org'

W: Failed to fetch http://http.debian.net/debian/dists/wheezy-updates/Release.gpg  Could not resolve 'http.debian.net'

W: Failed to fetch http://http.debian.net/debian/dists/wheezy-backports/Release.gpg Could not resolve 'http.debian.net'
[...]

This means the machine is not able to download any packages, and of
course everything else will fail too.

Did you connect to a working network when running the CD?  If you have
two network cards, perhaps the wrong one was connected?  You need to
connect to a network providing dhcp.  After installation and depending
on your setup, you connect the machine to the local internal network.
(The machine will provide dhcp there).

Perhaps the installer should report that problem immediately ...

Best regards,

     Andi