[debian-lan-devel] How to add workstation or add2dhcp not working

Robert Rettig robert at rettig.bayern
Tue Mar 8 21:04:21 UTC 2016

> Can you explain in more detail how you did that?  Following exactly
<URL:https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/debian-lan.git/tree/debian
/README.Debian?h=jessie>?

I have choosen the "prepare a CD image and install from that image" way.

>> * switched on a client on the 10.0.0.0 lan and run debian-lan add2dhcp on
the mainserver

> How did you install the client?  Did you run "debian-lan-chroots" on the
server after installation sucessfully?

The Client should install with PXE but PXE Boot was not working.
I read about "debian-lan-chroots" the first time in some other places. After
that I consultet the official documentation again at
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianLAN/Setup_A and found "After installation you
can install the FAI nfsroot (fai-setup) and the diskless' chroot by running
..." . This is somewhat hidden in a funny structured document and at all it
is not clear that you have to call it ("you can").

> Can you login on the console?

Yes. I tried it many ways. I could have mounted the disk and read passwd
etc. ...

> Thanks for the report.  I have to check if something in the jessie release
has been modified.  Note that only the packages in jessie are supported, not
backports or newer fai versions.

Thank you for the hint. Later I tried to use the fai-project sources,
beacause last week I tested the iso from FAI-Project and that worked very
well.