[debian-lan-devel] How to add workstation or add2dhcp not working

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Wed Mar 9 13:25:19 UTC 2016

Hi Robert,

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 01:39:16AM +0100, Robert Rettig wrote:
> Thank you for your help and advice. The stable branch is working.

Good to hear!

> There were only some little problems:
> *  To create the fai-cd.iso, I had to install binutils package too, which
> was not mentioned in the documentation (you will get an error without it).

OK, I've added that already to my local git repository.

> * After installing mainserver from the iso, the reboot is not working
> properly http://screencast.com/t/PDSV5INbWN I had to type faireboot by
> myself

Hm, that might be a FAI problem, no idea.  Important are the errors
reported above, there should be no "real" errors.

> After reboot and first login to mainserver is a hint to run
> "debian-lan-chroots" http://screencast.com/t/tfGJ6zijbX3s . I missed that
> one and run "debian-lan add2dhcp" because that was the next point in the
> wiki.

OK, in earlier versions this was done automatically at first boot.  It
was therefore probably not prominently mentioned in the wiki.
Apparently it should be made more clear -- I already modified the wiki
a bit, feel free to clarify it too there. (For someone from 'outside'
it's much easier to see missing/unclear points).

> Should the admin user be able to login on workstationXX maschines? If yes it
> is not working for me.

I just tried a complete installation (converting a jessie base
install).  Here, things seem to work fine, I could log into the live
system as admin.  I tried a workstation client after that (first boot
as live system, then run 'debian-lan add2dhcp' on the mainserver, then
reboot the client: it should get installed completely unattended).

Here I could also log in immediately (after reboot), kerberos keytabs
where in place.  They are copied during installation to the client,
and sometimes this fails.  You can do it manually with 'debian-lan
key2machine workstationXX'.  After reboot of the client try again
(without keytabs, login on the console should work iirc, but without
home directory available).

Please keep us up to date if something still fails or if (and how) it
could be sorted out.  The start is always a bit bumpy, but keep in
mind that you are setting up a highly integrated system.

Thanks,

        Andi