[debian-lan-devel] Debian-LAN ISO images

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Wed Aug 3 16:44:05 UTC 2016

Hi Benjamin,

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 04:56:32PM +0200, Benjamin Zach wrote:

> thank you for your fast reply.
> In the meantime I tried the conversion method: I prepared a debian-8.5.0
> installation by hand and ran the associated commands, but fai failed with
> similar errors; see the log in the files.
> At least this time I can confirm that the network is available.

Strange, I just finished an installation (conversion) without
problems, so somehow we seem not to do the same.  Did you follow the
instructions carefully?

What I did:

 • Install debian-8.5.0, in tasksel only select ssh-server (not needed,
   just top be able to copy-paste commands from a terminal to the VM)
 • reboot, login and switch to root (sudo -s)
 • then run:

        apt-get install aptitude
        aptitude install debian-lan-config
        aptitude -R install fai-server dialog
        mkdir /srv/fai/
        cp -r /usr/share/debian-lan-config/fai/config /srv/fai/

• And finally do the conversion:

        export SUDO_FORCE_REMOVE=yes
        export CONVERT=true
        fai -vN -s file:///srv/fai/config/ softupdate

The only lines in the error.log shown at the end of the conversion are
some unknown dmesg lines.

For some reason /usr/sbin/cfagent seems to be missing in your setup.

> cfagent.log:/usr/bin/fai-do-scripts: ./LDAP_CLIENT/10-ldap.conf: /usr/sbin/cfagent: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
[...]

I checked during my conversion: cfengine is installed before the
scripts run, and this seems not to happen in your case.  Did you run
the commands as root?

Hm — I try a CD installation later and report back.

Best regards,

     Andi