[debian-lan-devel] DNS causing issues in network performance

BMIRC System Administrator bmi.sysadmin at mail.sdsu.edu
Tue Oct 11 00:34:20 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am using DebianLAN on the cluster for my lab, and the server went down a
few days ago. Once I rebooted the head node, all compute nodes and
workstations came back up, but ever since then all workstations have been
very slow, have had intermittent issues connecting to the internet (usually
with DNS errors), and login will seemingly randomly fail about one-third of
the time.

I suspect the issue is with DNS. Do you have a hypothesis as to what the
problem might be?

I watched the syslog as client workstations tried to log in, and the
folllowing error message appeared:

icinga: SERVICE ALERT: workstation00;Zombie
Procs;CRITICAL;HARD;4;CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.

Many thanks,
---Sam