[debian-lan-devel] seeking advice on how to handle a small existing network

Ross Boylan rossboylan at stanfordalumni.org
Wed Nov 11 21:16:51 GMT 2020

I have a small network already running, including dhcp/dns/netbooting, NFS,
and apt-cacher (I believe debian-lan moved  away from apt-cacher awhile
ago).  I would like to add centralized identity management, i.e., Kerberos
and LDAP.  Some more centralized management might help a bit too.  I'm
inclined to keep home directories separate on separate machines, in part
because I may have a mix of distributions and OS versions.

Do you have any suggestions about how debian-lan can help?  I originally
thought of it because I understand setting up the centralized management is
a bit involved, and I thought it would provide a guide.  However,
debian-lan seems more oriented to creating a network from scratch, which is
not my case.

One option would be to use the configuration scripts as guides to what I
should do.

Also, there is now a FAI way and an ansible way, and I'm wondering about
which of those to pick.  It sounds as if ansible might be simpler, so maybe
choose that?

Thanks for any advice.

Ross

I would appreciate cc's on replies.

P.S. Isn't there a way to filter the spam out of the list more
effectively?  The noise comes close to drowning out the signal in the list
archive.