[debian-lan-devel] HowTo start (bootstrapping a Debian-LAN)

Andreas B. Mundt andi.mundt at web.de
Fri Dec 2 17:24:06 UTC 2011

Hi Medhamsh,

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 04:52:18PM +0530, Medhamsh wrote:
> On Sun, November 27, 2011 8:24 pm, Andreas B. Mundt wrote:
> > <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLAN/bootstrap>
>
> I was following this and after creating a debian partial mirror,
> the wiki says to modify the sources.list file with /media/mirror
> whereas as per wiki the mirror is at /srv/debmirror .

That's right, the partial mirror is on the seed machine, and it will
be mounted on /media/mirror on the machine being installed.  Take a
look at the /etc/exports example in the wiki.

> I work in a big I.T school and it already runs a dhcp server.
> I am buying a small 8 port network hub and an external NIC.

The current setup (Setup_A) can be used to prepare an independent
network with its own dhcp server.  I also run it attached to a network
which offers dhcp.  The mainserver works as gateway to that already
present network.

So for your setup:
 * Start following the wiki and prepare the seed machine (some laptop
   or one of the machines you can use for your network later).
 * Then attach the prepared seed machine to the switch/hub as well as
   the machine that's going to be the "mainserver".
 * Boot the mainserver from the network (i.e. from the seed machine).
 * If anything works out, remove the seed machine and connect the
   mainserver with the second NIC to your school's network.
 * Install all other machines from the mainserver in the Debian-LAN.

Let us know if it works and please report problems.  For the installation
of all other machines from the mainserver I need to prepare some more
documentation, I'll add that to the wiki if time permits.  In the meantime,
do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

	Andi