[Debian-lego-team] Future of nxt-python

Scott Kitterman debian at kitterman.com
Mon Nov 14 19:11:07 UTC 2016

On Sunday, November 13, 2016 01:27:33 AM Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Sunday, November 13, 2016 07:22:32 AM Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > [Scott Kitterman]
> >
> > > I think I give up on this package.
> >
> > OK.  Can you please transfer it to the LEGO team first?
>
> Certainly.

I've just done an upload that switches maintainership to the Lego team.  I did
some package cleanup as well.

> > > Upstream is virtually dead and has not, after three years, produced an
> > > update to work with python-usb 1.0 [1].  My NXT isn't working, so I've
> > > no way to test this.
> >
> > Sad to hear.  Note, as I mentioned in the bug report about a new
> > upstream there are seveal forks on github with updated patches, so a new
> > upstream might be elected.
> >
> > > I can either rm the package or pass it off to someone else in the
> > > team.  I don't think it's worth leaving in the archive without someone
> > > to care for it as it needs someone to work out the python-usb
> > > situation to be useful.
> > >
> > > If no one is interested, I'll ask for the rm in a few weeks.
> >
> > I'm interested, and use it to play with my NXT using python-nxt
> > regularly.
>
> Feel free to take it over with my permission if you get time to do an upload
> before I do.  I should have time this week to do it, but I've thought that
> before.
>
> Thanks for taking it over.

I'm glad to be putting the package in good hands.  I just don't have the time
it needs.

I've committed my last upload to the Debian Python Modules Team Git repository
so you can import the full history (the svn history was imported there).  DPMT
uses git-dpm, so it may look a bit odd if you aren't used to the branch
structure.

Good luck,

Scott K