[Debian-med-packaging] Debian python-biopython packaging for Biopython 1.51

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 11 11:07:22 UTC 2009

Dear Charles and Philipp,

We have exchanged a few emails in the past - I am one of the Biopython
developers. We are currently preparing for the Biopython 1.51 release,
and I wanted to get in touch regarding some of our dependencies.

I see you have already packaged Biopython 1.51 beta, thank you.

In Biopython 1.51 (and the beta), we finally dropped our deprecated
Martel python library, which had been handled as the Debian package
python-biopython-martel. It looks like you have already dealt with the
deprecation.

However, right now it looks like something with the dependencies isn't
quite right in the Debian packages:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/python/python-biopython
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/python/python-biopython-martel

Biopython used to depend on Martel.
Martel depends on mxTextTools (and always has done).

As of Biopython 1.51 beta, python-biopython does NOT depend on
python-biopython-martel or python-egenix-mxtexttools.

python-biopython-martel should have always depended on
python-egenix-mxtexttools (this hasn't been an issue since it
was marked as depending on python-biopython, which did have
the python-egenix-mxtexttools dependency).

I would be happy to try and clarify anything if I have not been clear
enough.

Thank you,

Peter