[Debian-med-packaging] Package GMAP and GSNAP

Andreas Tille andreas at fam-tille.de
Wed Apr 28 20:48:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:03:13AM -0700, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> Could GMAP (the gapped aligner) be packaged?
> http://research-pub.gene.com/gmap/

Sure - the license seems to be DFSG free, so why not.

> Should I submit an RFP, or post a request on the wiki?

My (>10 years) experience has shown that RFPs are in most cases not
successfull and a request on the wiki (which page???) also has probably
not the best chances.  For Debian Med we are using the so called
tasks pages from the Blends framework and I just added gmap to

  svn://svn.debian.org/svn/blends/projects/med/trunk/debian-med/tasks/bio

which will automatically turned into an entry at

  http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/bio#gmap

My attempt to provide a description is quite weak.  You seem to know the
program better - so any DD has commit permissions to the SVN above and I
would really invite you to enhance this.  IT is a good preparation for
an ITP or a control file and so this time is not wasted.

> I could potentially take on this packaging myself. If that's desired,

Yes, this would be really welcome!

> where should I start?

Just have a look into the Debian Med policy

   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html

and ask on the list if something remains unclear.  If you are working in
the field of medicine / biology it would be great if you would subscribe
debian-med at lists.debian.org (and send a short introduction of yourself to
the list).

> I am a Debian developer.

That's good and makes some technical things (Vcs commits, upload of
packages more smooth).

We would be really happy if you would join our team