[Debian-med-packaging] r5008 - in trunk/packages/hmmer/trunk/debian: . source

Andreas Tille andreas at fam-tille.de
Sun Jul 11 12:11:29 UTC 2010

Hi Eric,

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:02:29PM -0400, Eric Talevich wrote:
> Sorrry about that. Steffen was helping me quickly get set up to do Debian
> packaging during the BOSC Codefest, and I admit I didn't spend much time on
> the text. I'll behave better now.

There is no need for sorry or to promise behaving better.  I was just
giving a hint and in case you consider the News as important enough I
will not stop you from keeping the file.  I just wanted to let you know
that it should be well thought.  I'm personally not working with this
software and can not tell what effect the change really might have on
researchers and was not able to make it out from the text.  Just
consider yourself as a hmmer expert while I'm just giving *hints* which
might be helpful or not.

> For HMMer: I'm not sure exactly how the change from PVM to MPI affects end
> users, but the package does include some other changes they should be aware
> of. Most notably:
>
> - 'hmmpfam' is renamed to 'hmmscan',
> - 'hmmcalibrate' is gone, no longer needed
> - programs that kept the same name generally take different options now
> - several new binaries are added
>
> Should that go in the NEWS file instead?

I think this gives a better motivation for the NEWS file because it
might be really the case that users need to change some scripts.  I
have no idea how much effort the suggestion of Charles might cause.
If we will have the manpower to support both it sounds reasonable.
If it is to much effort we should probably go with the most modern
code.