[Debian-med-packaging] Colt (RFP)

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Tue Jun 22 01:27:24 UTC 2010

Le Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:04:10AM -0700, Shaun Jackman a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm packaging the Integrative Genomics Viewer for Debian, and it
> depends on Colt, which is "a set of Open Source Libraries for High
> Performance Scientific and Technical Computing in Java".
> http://acs.lbl.gov/software/colt/
>
> Would the Debian-Java packaging team be able to package this
> dependency for me? It would be much appreciated.

Hi Shaun,

Although I do not understand Java, I inspected Colt, to see if it
looks packageable. I found an unfortunate problem with the license:

    Packages cern.colt* , cern.jet*, cern.clhep

        Copyright (c) 1999 CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research.

	Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and sell this software and
its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that
the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright
notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. CERN
makes no representations about the suitability of this software for any
purpose. It is provided "as is" without expressed or implied warranty.

    Packages hep.aida.*

	Written by Pavel Binko, Dino Ferrero Merlino, Wolfgang Hoschek, Tony
Johnson, Andreas Pfeiffer, and others. Check the FreeHEP home page for more
info. Permission to use and/or redistribute this work is granted under the
terms of the LGPL License, with the exception that any usage related to
military applications is expressly forbidden. The software and documentation
made available under the terms of this license are provided with no warranty.

It looks like that colt will have to go in the non-free section of the Debian
archive, and hence the package that depend on it will go in the contrib
section. If this is not a problem for you, how about setting up a git
repository in the pkg-java group, and start to package colt there?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan