[Debian-med-packaging] r7427 - trunk/packages/velvet/trunk/debian

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Aug 12 06:52:39 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 03:33:03PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > Additional question:  I somehow tend to keep on repackaging velvet to avoid
> > the copyright hell of zlib.

What about this one?

> > I'm fine with leaving MetaVelvet as is.  What
> > do you think?
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I think that the behaviour of dh, of not honoring the CFLAGS from the
> environment, introduces a regression compared to previous build strategies.
> Luckily, it seems that the Debhelper compatibility level 9 is designed to solve
> that problem, see http://bugs.debian.org/544844.  In my experience, I have not
> managed to use it correctly, and switched back at least one package to CDBS for
> this reason.

Which package and what exactly was the problem (just curious whether my
preference for dh might have some drawbacks).

> For MetaVelvet, it looks that Velvet's copy evolves indendantly of the
> original, which does not change on GitHub:
>
> https://github.com/dzerbino/velvet/tree/master/contrib/MetaVelvet-v0.3.1/src
> https://github.com/hacchy/MetaVelvet/tree/master/src

Hmmm, could anybody ask the authors about what version of MetaVelvet is the
"living" one we should use for packaging.

> I think that the best is to build metavelvet from the velvet sources, and ship
> it in /usr/bin or /usr/lib/velvet.

If it is true that the MetaVelvet copy inside the velvet source package
is "the right thing" then I'm for sure in favour of building it and
making it available for the users - most preferably in a second binary
package to enable independant installs.