[Debian-med-packaging] Trouble updating mgltools-scenario

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Dec 7 09:10:56 UTC 2011

Hi,

bug #616899 seems to be the last in the mgl-tools row and I admit I have
trouble to fix this.  While SVN lists several new changelog entries of
UNRELEASED packages I tried to check out the latest version without
success.  Using the get-orig-source method of all other mgltools
packages fails either because my wild-guess name ScenarioDIST was wrong
or it is not available in CVS any more:

I: get ScenarioDIST (-> mgltools-scenario) from branch rc-1-5-6
I: cvs directory already available
I: ... now performing checkout
cvsnt server: cannot find module `ScenarioDIST' - ignored

While there is scenario2 and so there is a chance that scenario was
really dropped in favour of this the changelog in our packaging SVN
contradicts this assumption and I did not found any information how to
obtain the source.  I'd be happy if whoever is able to fetch the source
successfully would do the proper steps to updated this package to the
state of all the other packages and fix #616899.  If there is no chance
to get the source any more we should probably drop this package.

When looking at the get-orig-source method I wonder whether this is the
proper method to fetch the source fitting the changelog entry because
currently the debian/get-orig-source/rc-version string is lagging behind
in several mgltools packages what is written in debian/changelog.  So it
might help to simply obtain the string from the changelog file as I
suggested in a freshly commited debian/rules file (see here[1]).

I also wonder whether it might make sense to automatically create
debian/rules and debian/control for those mgltools because these are
quite similar and the separate maintenance costs a lot of time which
obviosely is nobody willing to spend.  I once more repeat my question
whether it would be totally wrong to simply use the all in one source
package[2] instead of adding an additional layer of complexity which
finally drains our resources.  IMHO it would be way more simple to
handle this source[2] rather than those several packages.  BTW, the
senario source is not part of the tarball[2].  If I do not get any
response of somebody who might have successfully found it I'll go on
filing a removal request for this package.

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/packages/mgltools/scenario/trunk/debian/rules?view=markup
[2] http://mgltools.scripps.edu/downloads/tars/releases/REL1.5.6/mgltools_source_1.5.6rc2.tar.gz