[Debian-med-packaging] Comments regarding clustalw_2.1+lgpl-1_amd64.changes

Mike O'Connor ftpmaster at debian.org
Mon Feb 7 02:58:30 UTC 2011

Hi maintainer,

I'm concerne by the following passage in the copyright file:

Comment: I have received the following message from Des Higgins. -- Charles Plessy
   "We are happy to give the Debian team permission to modify
   ClustalW 2 and ClustalX 2 code and redistribute the binaries as long as
   those modifications do not alter the algorithmic core, i.e. only affect
   installation routines, bug fixes etc. Please include the original
   LICENSE file into your package."

The two things that concern me are that it seem to intend to limit modification
rights to not allow altering the algorithmic core, and that the permission to
modify is given to debian only, which fails DFSG #8.  However, it is confusing
to me that this statment is listed in the debian/* portion of copyright file
and not the * portion of the copyright file, however, this person is not listed
as a copyright holder for this portion.

thanks,
stew