[Debian-med-packaging] beast-mcmc

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Wed Feb 9 14:28:27 UTC 2011

[I'm writing to development team list to keep others informed as well
 an I'm BCCing you - in case you might not like to uncover your address
 on a public list.  I'd suggest subscribing the developers list to
 stay informed about packaging issues like this.]

Hi Felix,

at first thanks for working on beast-mcmc

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 01:33:20PM +0000, Felix Feyertag wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I've been working on packaging beast-mcmc for Debian Med, this is
> somewhat related to the package FigTree (in terms of packaging process
> and some of the libraries used) which you have just started on, and I
> would be very grateful if you could also have a quick look over my
> work so far on beast-mcmc. The version checked into svn can be
> retrieved using ./debian/rules get-orig-source and it should compile,
> however it is currently still set up to use the binary libraries that
> come with the source.

I have checked out your packaging last week and as you might have
noticed I changed your packaging (to a large extend).  I hope you agree
with those changes (I was a bit quick after my mail not waiting
patiently for your confirmation - but I assumed it would be OK if it's
in our SVN).

I also realised that it is including a figtree*.jar and thus I
concentrated on figtree packaging (also in SVN).  I was able to cut
several unused jars from figtree and I'm positive that we can use the
Debian packaged freehep packages instead of the included freehep.jar
and I also think we have good chances to package jam.jar and jebl.jar
as separate packages - they are interesting for developing bio-medical
applications in Java anyway and thus are worth packaging.

In FigTree the only remaining binary Jar would be iText and while this
could be packaged as well I'm not sure for what verison we should target
at.  It seems there is an old version included and I've got PM from the
FigTree author: "I only can assure that the included version works."

So far to the work I've done as well as the plan I want to work on.
You are more than welcome to join this.  Please coordinate over this
list (or alternatively debian-med at lists.debian.org if you prefer to
subscribe on one single list).