[Debian-med-packaging] vienna-rna is almost ready

Alex Mestiashvili alexander.mestiashvili at biotec.tu-dresden.de
Mon Feb 14 18:18:42 UTC 2011

On 02/10/2011 09:55 PM, Manuel Prinz wrote:
> Hi Alex!
>
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 05:04:34PM +0100, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
>
>> What else should be done to process this package ?
>>
> Sorry for replying late! I had a quick look at your package. It's
> looks very good given that you just started to learn how to package!
> There are a few glitches which you should address. I'll sponsor the
> package once these are fixed.
>
>   - As I understand it, RNAforester is shipped with ViennaRNA but
>     since it's only one binary it's shiped in the vienna-rna package.
>     I think you should mention that in the long description of the
>     package, so users looking for RNAforester can find the right
>     package to install.
>
>   - Please remove the index lines and timestamps of the patches. They
>     make commit diffs harder to read and add no value. You can do
>     this by applying a patch and call
>       quilt refresh -p ab --no-timestamps --no-index
>     for each patch. You might want to include those into your .quiltrc.
>
>   - Please add DEP3 headers [1] to the patches. This helps others to
>     gain information about the patch status. (What does it do? Was it
>     forwarded to upstream?) This is especially important in patch file
>     naview_copyright.patch, as it requires permission of upstream.
>     (Which you have, in this case. But ftp-masters want to know.)

thank you  for the hints , done .
>   - You should be able to solve the configure-generated-file-in-source
>     lintian warnings by using "dh --with autotools_dev $@" in rules.
>     See "man 1 dh_autotools-dev_restoreconfig" for more information.

I've added --wit autotools_dev as you suggested , but it didn't really
help .
and according manual it should help against config.sub and config.guess ,
but lintian complains about config.status and config.log
W: vienna-rna source: configure-generated-file-in-source
RNAforester/g2-0.70/config.status
W: vienna-rna source: configure-generated-file-in-source
RNAforester/g2-0.70/config.log

another thing is that we don't touch RNAforester/g2-0.70/ which is
excluded by one of the patches .
So I don't understand how dh --with autotools_dev $@ should help .
and one more strange thing is that lintian prints these messages in
spite of the vienna-rna.lintian-overrides which has  this 2 warnings
defined .

>   - The manpage-has-errors-from-man lintian tags should be solved as
>     well, though this is not crutial.
>
>   - The patches for using the local libg2 are just workarounds. This
>     is OK as of now but you should talk to upstream about providing
>     a mechanism to do so directly via configure.

I've already asked the upstream about this , so I expect this changes in
the next release.
>   - The first lines in debian/rules could be updated.
>
> That's all for now. The rules file looks more complicated than it
> might need to be but I'll look at it in detail, as I can't build
> the package at the moment. I'll also need to check the copyright,
> as I have not done that properly. (Just had a quick glance, looks
> good.)
>
> Please address the above points. You can reply to me in private when
> you have updated the package. If you have questions, please feel free
> to ask on the list (or mail me privately).

Thank a lot for the detailed guidance .
For the future conversation I am moving to
debian-med-packaging at lists.alioth.debian.org
as suggested by Andreas Tille .

Best regards ,
Alex