[Debian-med-packaging] r8642 - in trunk/packages/molphy: . trunk

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Nov 22 19:48:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 08:01:56PM +0100, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> Maybe we should change the wording of Comment: and more explicitly
> explain the reasons for removing the files?

IMHO the comment is sufficient.

> >In short: "Status: removed" in README.status is fine, but removing the
> >last tags is questionable in my eyes (even if it does not hurt me so
> >much that I would take any action to bring things back without asking).
>
> Ok, I understand that tags are useful during active development and
> maybe we should also note the last tag in README.status. But what is
> the advantage of keeping tags after the trunk has been removed?

Finally even the packaging of removed packages could be used as

  * example for other packages
  * starting point in case somebody wants to bring it back again

While I admit that for this actual package both arguments are quite weak
and you also can use snapshots / previous Debian releases to reconstruct
the data I would prefer starting a discussion about this for future
cases.

> Removing a package from Debian normally means that nobody has any
> interest in it.

Yes.  But that's a snapshot for this point in time which can change in
the future (also general speaking, I do not think that molphy can serve
as an example to prove my point).

> Why should somebody want to look at older versions
> of it? If it gains interest again, one could start with the last
> version of the package or checkout the listed revision. But who
> might be interested in tags?

I would like to say that for this case we just leave it as is but should
decide in future cases whether it might make sense to keep some trace
of the code alive in SVN.

Kind regards and thanks for your house keeping work anyway