[Debian-med-packaging] r7694 - trunk/packages/seqan/trunk/debian

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Wed Sep 7 06:47:42 UTC 2011

Le Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 08:37:18AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 04:46:02AM +0000, Charles Plessy wrote:
> >  - provide /usr/bin links for applications already distributed in sequan_1.2-1 package.
>
> I'm not convinced that this is really needed.  IMHO a common wrapper to
> all seqan binaries should be sufficient.  Or are these "allready
> sidtributed" binaries in some way special (except that they came first
> in history).

Some of the programs names are not generic, some are borderline and some are
clearly generic.  I do not want to make the call.  Also, each time we remove a
program from /usr/bin, we risk to break an user's script or documentation on
upgrades.  Therefore, in the absence of file conflicts, I think that if we
rename we should at least provide a transitional link for one release cycle.

More in general, I think that the PATH trick is not scalable.  We really need a
way to let the users install packages in their area of interest with
executables in the default path even if the names are generic, as long as there
is no local conflict.

> > Unfortunately, this trigers an error reported by Lintian: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath
> > (To be investigated).
>
> Did you tried the usual recommendation given by lintian -I ?

Nope: this was the end of my work session anyway.

Cheers,

--
Charles