[Debian-med-packaging] What metadata could be gathered in debian/upstream (Re: r10557 - trunk/packages/ncbi-epcr/trunk/debian)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Apr 24 09:22:21 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 05:31:29PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:

> It is not because these fields exist that we must use them, and that we can not
> transfer the information somewhere else.

There is no "must" but I consider it handy there and as I said it is
documented clearly visible (considering a lot of references to DEP5).
We simply need to assume that several package developers are aware of
this field and will use it.  And so do I.

> This is similar for the Homepage field in Debian source control files.  It will
> be more difficult, but I hope that at the end of this project it can be
> transferred as well.

I know your arguments about collecting upstream metadata in one place
and I agree with them to some extend.  I would like to stall the
discussion to the point in time what you call "the end of this project"
and I consider it pretty simple to write a script which does what needs
to be done.

But we are not there now.  As I said:  I do not think that you will
convince geeks by moving data around if there is no application which
justifies this change.  My strategy would be to add upstream metadata
which do *not* have any established place in our documented files and
use them on visible places.  Once this is accepted we could go the
second step and really move all upstream data to one place.  But I
*personally* will not do the second step in parallel to the first one.

PS: This discussion is not properly placed on this list - feel free
    to move.