[Debian-med-packaging] Debian Med! (Was: Debian Med?)

Michael Crusoe michael.crusoe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 18:40:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas at an3as.eu> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I'd like to give some update from my side to Steffens mail below.  The
> Debian Med team tries to do open conversation (in contrast to private
> discussion with long CC list).  I have some record of prefering this
> policy over netiquette after having checked that there is no private
> content in the mails - I hope nobody of the posters below will mind if I
> entertain this habit again here.

Sure, I am a big fan of open conversations.

> As a general hint I would (strongly) advise to read the Debian Med policy
> document
>
>     http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html

Done

> which patiently explains what mailing lists to subscribe and how to
> become a member of the alioth team which is finally what you want to
> join if you want to touch packages like tophat and qiime (as Steffen
> wrote as well).  Working for Ubuntu is fine but we established a
> workflow which fixes problems at the root which lastly is Debian.  If
> you need some more detailed introduction feel free to ping me about
> Mentoring of Month
>
>     https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM

As a decade plus user of Debian and Debian derivatives (and often a
sysadmin of the same) I'm very happy to fix problems at the root.

> (some time of August is left and it seems you just have some packaging
> skills so this might fit.)
>
> Specifically regarding Qiime:  I just fixed two bugs reported by Charles
> in Debian unstable recently (Mon, 06 Aug 2012).  You are well advised to
> consider these changes because I'm not sure how fast these changes might
> proceede to Ubuntu and you probably do not want to spend your time on
> outdated packaging code (did I said that we are fixing problems at the
> root?)

Thank you for the heads up. Does Qiime now pass its own self-tests out
of the box on Debian unstable?

> If you have further questions feel free to ask.

Certainly

> Kind regards and thanks for your interest in Debian Med

You are very welcome; 'tis my pleasure to contribute.