[Debian-med-packaging] Please upload NEW hhsuite

Andreas Hauser hauser at genzentrum.lmu.de
Thu Feb 23 22:47:13 UTC 2012

lkajan wrote @ Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:15:42 +0100:
> Hello Andreas!
>
> > I obviosely found time now and did the upload.  When doing so I noticed
> > some oth issue which might be worth considering:  There is a quite large
> > amount of arch all files inside the hhsuite deb.  Lintian can detect
> > this if the data are residing in /usr/share and I would actually
> > consider these files placed there more logically.  It would make sense
> > to split these files from the arch=any package to a separate arch=all
> > package named for instance hhsuite-data and make hhsuite depend from it.
> > The rationale is to save disk space and bandwidth for our mirrors.  This
> > should be considered for one of the future versions.
>
> I know. I've notified upstream (Andreas Hauser) about this. I am waiting for his confirmation/help with what is indeed arch indep and what is
> not. Once I see this clearly I will bring out an hhsuite-data pack (arch=all) for those parts and put them into /usr/share/hhsuite-data. I will
> also have to patch paths though so that the data is still found where expected - something I am /not/ looking forward to... this is the main
> reason why there is no hhsuite-data yet.

I would expect endian issues with some files.

Other than that, we try to be friendly to users installing on clusters
or $HOME just doing a make install INSTALL_DIR=., by not using to many paths.

There is also extensive documentation about the current path setup
since we expect many users without intense knowledge about computing.

It would therefore be nice to do this somewhat coordinated, if it has to be
done.

Besides, do you intend to also make a package of the databases?

> > Moreover it might be that we need to work a bit in the tasks files which
> > are just mentioning hhsuite but there are some other binary packages
> > which might (or might not - I'm just asking the experts hereby) make sense
> > to be listed separately in the list of our packages (and as dependencies
> > in metapackages.
>
> You mean ffindex? Andreas, do you release ffindex separately or only as part of the hhsuite? I am going to make an entry for it in the tasks file.
>
> ** Andreas I think I made a mistake! **
> In the upload ffindex has the same version number (uses the same changelog) as hhsuite - that's wrong. It has its own version
> (lib/ffindex/VERSION: 0.9.2)! I think I've corrected this now but I am not sure it did it correctly: I gave ffindex (and libffindex) its own
> debian/*.changelog files. Could you please have a look? What do we do now? Can we correct this before it gets accepted (iff) with the higher
> version number?

Yes, you can also get FFindex via:
http://pubshare.genzentrum.lmu.de/scientific_computing/software/ffindex/

Cheers
--
Andreas Hauser, Scientific Computing, ☎ +49 89 2180 76719
Gene Center Munich, Department of Biochemistry