[Debian-med-packaging] RM: libwww5.808-perl -- RC-buggy, NPOASR

Jonathan Nieder jrnieder at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:36:09 UTC 2012

reassign 636923 ensembl 63-1
severity 636923 serious
quit

Hi,

Luca Falavigna wrote:

> As there's little the FTP Team can do at this point, I'm reassigning
> this bug to libwww5.808-perl source package, pending a proper fix.

Since the original report last April, we haven't heard from the
libwww5.808-perl maintainers at all.  I have run into this same
problem on multiple machines now, and no one seems to think the
package's existence is sane, so I'm tempted to suggest just removing
it, with ensembl as an unfortunate casualty.

The ensembl package description explains:

  libwww-perl5.808 will conflict with the latest libwww-perl
  installation and thus force a downgrade to 5.808, which will disable
  many other tools on your system. Therefore it is advisable NOT to
  install this package in parallel with any other software, and/or use
  a virtual machine or dedicated machine.

which does not sound like a package that I would expect to find in the
archive.

However, maybe the ensembl maintainers can come up with some method
for avoiding this?  E.g., [1] seems to have some ideas that would not
require such an invasive package.  Cc-ing them.

Thanks,
Jonathan

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/593568#25