[Debian-med-packaging] Some questions about seq (Was: r11551 - in trunk/packages/seg/trunk/debian: . patches source)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Jul 5 14:17:11 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 03:37:36PM +0200, Laszlo Kajan wrote:
> Your changes to debian/rules with dpkg-parsechangelog make the get-orig-source target not work as required by the policy [1]:

Damn newbies reading docs carefully! ;-)

>  This target fetches the most recent version of the original source package [...] and leaves it in the current directory.
>  This target may be invoked in any directory [...]
>
> (This was the reason why it was static in the first place.)

I admit I was not aware of this.  I guess we might have a certain amount
of packages failing to fullfill this requirement.

> Now it works only when invoked from the dir that contains 'debian' (so it can find the changelog).
>
> I understand your intention with the changes, but I want to follow the policy here (and be able to invoke the target in 'tarballs'). Therefore I
> am reverting to a static $(ver)sion and $(pkg) solution.

There might be some way to specify something using

   dpkg-parsechangelog -l$(PATH_TO_CHANGELOG)

but I will not insist into my change - specifically if it violates
policy.

> Laszlo
>
> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html

Thanks for reading this carefully - I might need to check other code
regarding this.  My personal workflow just did not uncover this problem.