[Debian-med-packaging] r12533 - trunk/packages/python-cogent/trunk/debian

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Nov 14 14:27:24 UTC 2012

[Moved on list because it might be of general interest]
Hi Tim,

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 02:01:56PM +0000, Tim Booth wrote:
> I'm not fussed how soon this gets into Debian - I'd say no point
> worrying about it until something else depends on it.  As usual, I'm
> just trying to contribute back when I think I've done something that
> might be useful to Debian Med.

OK.

> I've also patched the QIIME package in order to work around some known
> bugs but I don't know if you want to worry about this or not, as the new
> QIIME release will be out before Debian comes out of freeze.  I've
> commented the patches and committed to the SVN so you can take it or
> leave it.

Seems delaying the Debian package for the new QIIME version makes sense
but having the patches does help in any case.

> Regarding the numbering, I was working on the basis that a -1ubuntu1
> suffix means "debian version 1 with special fixes for ubuntu" so if the
> build was be the same on both I was just keeping the number.  But if it
> helps to add "ubuntu1" or similar in all my commits I'll do that, no
> problem.

The thing is, if you just occupy version 1.5.3-1 for the upload to
precise we can not upload this very same version to unstable any more
(at least not without making lintian very nervous and lintian is right
here).  To avoid this derived distributions do also append their
distribution name to the Debian version number and also add an internal
version, which ends up in

   <upstream>-<Debian-package-version><distrib-name><distrib-package-version>

Furthermore you should make sure that if the package -1 is not yet
released the version should be lower than <upstream>-1 (you can check
this using `dpkg --compare-versions` .)  That's why I suggested to use

    1.5.3-0foo1

where I have no special feeling about this foo.  The last version
number can be used if there is another reason to push a package to
foo before there is any Debian package.  Then it will be

    1.5.3-0foo2

and so on.