[Debian-med-packaging] Packaging CSB Toolbox

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Mon Oct 29 22:15:08 UTC 2012

Le Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 01:12:06PM +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> +1 for dh.  Here I would set a clear preference:  If the package is not
> connected to R where a nifty cdbs extension exists there is no reason at
> all to choose cdbs.  The main reason for this is the lack of good
> documentation for cdbs and dh is on one hand very good documented by
> manpages and on the other hand so simple that you finally do not need
> any documentation once you have inspected one or two examples.

Hi all,

I have found CDBS very useful in cases where it was difficult to pass build
flags through Debhelper.  While its documentation does not cover all internal
details, it has progressed a lot since CDBS initially acquired its bad
reputation.

  http://cdbs-doc.duckcorp.org/en/cdbs-doc.xhtml

I agree with Andreas that dh should be our default choice.  This said, if you
face a problem that is much easier to solve with CDBS (for instance in case of
passing make variables to the upstream build system) I am sure that it will
be fine to use it in a package you maintain in our team.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,