[Debian-med-packaging] Psignifit3 in tasklist

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Apr 17 07:27:03 UTC 2013

Hi Nikolaus,

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 09:06:17AM +0200, Nikolaus Valentin Hänel wrote:
> Dear Andreas,
>
> * Andreas Tille <andreas at an3as.eu> [2013-04-17]:
> > thanks for checking!
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 08:03:39PM +0200, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > the tasklist at http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/psychology
> > > tells me that there is no package Psignifit3 in Debian.
> > > http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/psignifit3.html tells a different story.
> > >
> > > Is this due to the capital "P" in the package name on the tasklist?
> >
> > No.  The capital P is just typographic rendering on the tasks pages.
> > You simply need to specify the *binary* package.
>
> What does this mean?

Hmmm, how to start.  The Debian Med team assembles a set of packages
serving a certain purpose in so called tasks.  These tasks are rendered
in the internet as so called web sentinel.  Your package is displayed
here:

   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/psychology#python-pypsignifit

ATTENTION:  Since one week the descriptions are borken - so if you want
to make some sense out of this all look (temporarily, bug just filed)
here:

   http://debian-med.debian.net/tasks/psychology

Here you can also see the difference between the official page above
where I have triggered the recreation manually and the situation before
that was reported by Thorsten:  Your package is listed as psignifit3 at
the bottom and the information is from a manual edit of information from
times when the package did not existed.

Feel free to blame Michael (who probably is your sponsor) responsible
for forgetting to update the tasks file. ;-)

> > The bad effect of this mistake to specify the source package rather than
> > the binary package is that the package was not only missing on the web
> > sentinel (which will be cured after the next cron run) but way more
> > importantly in the med-psychology package targeting at Wheezy.  I do not
> > really like to stretch the patience of the release team to much to issue
> > another set of metapackages just because we made this mistake.  I have
> > put people connected with the package in CC to make them aware of this.
> > They might decide whether they like to negotiate this issue with
> > debian-release at l.d.o.
>
> I don't understand the above paragraph. What do I need to do?

In addition to the so called web sentinel (you can read more about all this
Blends stuff here[1]) we also create metapackages which should simplify the
installation of all psychology relevent packages by simply doing

   apt-get install med-psychology

These metapackages are generated from the same information as the web
sentinel and this was done recently (so quite in the end of the Debian
release process = deep freeze) to make sure we will not include any
package that might be removed due to a release critical bug.  This stuff
is some extra burden for the release team because it falls totally out
of the normal rules that packages needed to be uploaded before the
freeze date (last July).  I'm personally not motivated to go the route
once more to convince them to accept another set of metapackages just
because we made some mistake.

In other words: In Wheezy a user needs to do

   apt-get install med-psychology python-pypsignifit

to get all applications relevant for psychology on the computer.  I have
no idea how important this package is and in how far it is a problem
that we fail to "advertise" this package via the metapackages.  So
finally you need to decide what effort you might like to undertake to
fix this.  I'd suggest that Michael should approach the release team
in case you consider this as important.

Hope this helps

       Andreas.

PS: Please excuse my ignorance of netiquette to answer a (not so private)
    private mail in public.  I do (strongly) prefer to keep the discussion
    on list where it started because *obviosly* to few people have
    understood these principle.

[1] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/