[Debian-med-packaging] metastudent_1.0.7-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Sat Apr 20 22:30:08 UTC 2013

Le Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 06:01:05PM +0200, Laszlo Kajan a écrit :

> * Do you see a way - apart of creating a 400MB package for the metastudent
> data, and a several gigabytes large for predictprotein - to keep these in
> 'main', and therefore in the distribution?
>
> There's been a discussion about this issue during the DPL vote [4], whether
> software that is not useful without Internet connection could be in 'main'.
> Bart Martens suggested the interpretation that if a package installs software
> outside the distribution on the local system, then it should not be in 'main'
> [5]. Russ Allbery wrote that point #1 of the social contract is relevant (and
> canonical) [6]. I interpret point #1 as 'as long as no non-free software is
> installed on the system by the package, a package can be part of the Debian
> system'.  The social contract [7] point 1. indeed seems to allow metastudent
> to be in 'main', in my interpretation, provided the data is DFSG free (I
> think it is).
>
> [4] http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2013/03/msg00249.html [5]
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2013/03/msg00276.html [6]
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2013/03/msg00279.html [7]
> http://www.debian.org/social_contract

Hi Laszlo,

my point of view is also that if a package does not contain non-Free files,
then we should accept it in main.  In the case of metastudent and
predictprotein, the packaged tools would not be able to function without the
BLAST databases, and as a consequence it would not be possible for another
package to depend on metastudent or predictprotein in order to run their tools.
In that case, I think that it would be important to mention in the descriptions
of the packages that the users would need to build or download large BLAST
databases.

Conversely, a helper package that downloads the BLAST databases as part of its
installation would belong to contrib, as it can not work on a system or network
where only Debian is available (no Internet).

In parallel to this, it would also be interesting to provide the scripts or
commands that are used to produce the BLAST databasess using reference data.

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,