[Debian-med-packaging] uc-echo: build-dep on g++-multilib

Thorsten Alteholz debian at alteholz.de
Sat Apr 27 18:01:17 UTC 2013

Hi Roland,

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013, Roland Stigge wrote:
> I noticed that uc-echo can't be built on platforms without g++-multilib
> (like powerpcspe) because of the build-dependency on g++-multilib.
>
> Further, -m64 is forced as a compiler option to enable allocating >4GB
> of RAM.
>
> Would it make sense to enable build on platforms without -m64 being
> unavailable (as on powerpcspe), or does uc-echo only make sense with
>> 4GB RAM allocations?

uc-echo is used to analyse data from NGS-hardware (Next Generation
Sequenzing). One advantage of such hardware is that it is able to analyse
lots of short fragments in parallel and thus being much faster than older
algorithms. Unfortunately the error rate in NGS-data is higher and thus
more data is needed simultaneously to be able to correct this and to get a
final result with high accuracy. As the ECHO algorithm does not need some
reference data, the need for RAM is further increased.

I am not an NGS expert but I think that useful work can only be done
with uc-echo when lots of RAM is available. But maybe others can comment
on this ...

    Thorsten