[Debian-med-packaging] Trouble updating velvet Git repository

Charles Plessy charles-listes-med-packaging at plessy.org
Sat Aug 3 09:37:29 UTC 2013

Le Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 08:31:28AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> If I'm not misleaded you have ironed out the way we use gbp in the first
> place.  If you have gathered some new knowledge and found out that the
> original approach might have some drawbacks to other ways it might be
> interesting to learn this and at least describe the alternatives in
> policy.  I'd personally follow what looks the most simple way to do
> things and I feel incompetent to have an opinion on how to use gbp most
> efficiently.

Hi Andreas,

I wish I had more time to iron out the direct tracking of git repositories.

For the moment, there are multiple issues, such as figuring out best practices
for resolving conflicts, the annoying behaviour of the standard post-commit hook
that may send hundreds of messages each time a busy upstream branch is pulled
(compared to a single commit when importing a tarball), and getting the whole
concept accepted to depend on Git to work on the package when the upstream
sources have to be edited (as opposed to use a patch system that stays
the same regardless whether the package is managed in Subversion or Git).

Altogether, I think that when Upstream works neatly with a well-managed Git
repository and is following most of the recommendation of our Upstream Guide,
then tracking directly his repository will become a common practice with time.

    https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide

Said differently, it is still time for experimentation, and a bit early for
conclusions.

> Hmmm, I think to get out something quite quickly it seems to me that the
> "keep SVN approach" fits best.  I'm willing to learn new things but for the
> moment the stack of packages is quite large and I'd like to work it down a
> bit.  New things can be done if things are settled a bit.  I guess it is
> OK for you if I remove the Git repository from git.d.o to avoid confusion?

I agree totally.  Priority to our backlog.  Thanks for the upload.

By the way, let me take again the opportunity to tell that since April, the
contents of my work have changed (less research and more management, that is
what happens when getting old...), and I have much less opportunities to work
on my Debian packages.  To everybody: please do not hesitate to work on the
packages where I did most of the work in the past.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,