[Debian-med-packaging] Comments regarding r-cran-munsell_0.4-1_amd64.changes

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Mon Aug 5 09:41:12 UTC 2013

Hi Paul,

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 12:37:17AM +0000, Paul Richards Tagliamonte wrote:
> sysdata.rda appears to be in your source, which is a dataset compressed
> into pickled R objects.
>
> Can you assure me of one of two things:
>
>   1. that this data is *not* used anywhere in the binary packages
>      (and is not shipped)

It is not shipped in the binary package.

> and *can* be rebuilt from *just* the contents
>      of the package and that it is *not* shipped.

It was previously said that it can be reprocuced with R.

>   2. that you rebuild this at build-time, and that is included.

Since it is not shipped it is not rebuild.  However, some other files
(sysdata.rdb and sysdata.rdx) are created from sysdata.rda.  These are
all different binary representations of the same data which could be
converted to human readable data with R.  This is quite typical for R
packages.

> I see two sysdata files that are getting installed.

Yes, these are derived from sysdata.rda.

> If these are coming from this binary file, please respond asking
> for a REJECT and re-upload this package fixing the situation

As Charles said this is a typical thing for R packages.  If you want
to know how many packages are shipping *.rda files you can try

$ apt-file --architecture source search ".rda" | sed 's/: .*$//' | uniq | wc -l
68

Some of these might be in non-free but not because of this reason.
If you want a list only from main

  sudo apt-file --architecture source --sources-list sources.list_without_non-free+contrib update

and check again.

Kind regards an thanks for working on ftpmaster tasks