[Debian-med-packaging] Binary (rda) files in source tarball of BioC graph

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Aug 29 12:42:33 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm writing you on behalf of the Debian Med team that tries to package
software for biologists and medical care straight into Debian and thus
BioConductor is one of our targets.  While we just have some
BioConductor modules included we need several more and I'm now busy
packaging graph[1].  I noticed that inside the data/ dir some *.rda
files are stored.  Recently on the Debian list some
flamew^Wdiscussion[2] happened whether we should regard this as
acceptable as "human editable source" or just chunks of binary code
without source.

You as R experts might have some opinion on it and I will not question
this.  However, it would make the process of integration into Debian way
more smooth if you could deliver some ASCII representation of these data
as well as some recipe to create the according *.rda files.  I admit I'm
not very educated in R - I just was told this is possible and easy but
my personal R knowledge is just about the fact that it is pretty easy to
create Debian packages and so I'm doing this - sorry for my ignorance.

So if you would be able to do us a favour and provide something our
ftpmaster could regard as "human editable source" this would really help
our effort to bring BioConductor straight into Debian.

Kind regards and thanks for providing the free BioConductor suite

      Andreas.

[1] http://bioconductor.org/packages/2.12/bioc/html/graph.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/08/msg00069.html