[Debian-med-packaging] Binary (rda) files in source tarball of BioC graph

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Thu Aug 29 21:05:47 UTC 2013

[Put ftpmaster in CC]
Hi Martin,

thanks for your quick and helpful response.

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 01:19:52PM -0700, Martin Morgan wrote:
> Hi Andreas --
>
> On 08/29/2013 05:42 AM, Maintainer wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm writing you on behalf of the Debian Med team that tries to package
> >software for biologists and medical care straight into Debian and thus
> >BioConductor is one of our targets.  While we just have some
> >BioConductor modules included we need several more and I'm now busy
> >packaging graph[1].  I noticed that inside the data/ dir some *.rda
> >files are stored.  Recently on the Debian list some
> >flamew^Wdiscussion[2] happened whether we should regard this as
> >acceptable as "human editable source" or just chunks of binary code
> >without source.
>
> >You as R experts might have some opinion on it and I will not question
> >this.  However, it would make the process of integration into Debian way
> >more smooth if you could deliver some ASCII representation of these data
> >as well as some recipe to create the according *.rda files.  I admit I'm
> >not very educated in R - I just was told this is possible and easy but
> >my personal R knowledge is just about the fact that it is pretty easy to
> >create Debian packages and so I'm doing this - sorry for my ignorance.
>
> The serialized R objects can be input and manipulated in R by
> humans, I guess in the same way that png files are read by image
> viewers.
>
> In general, data objects in Bioconductor packages are complicated --
> not simple tables, but highly coordinated data structures. They have
> diverse origins, and the binary representation offers benefits to
> users and to our build and distribution channels; many are used to
> test or illustrate (in vignettes or man page examples) package
> functionality. It's not logistically feasible for us to provide
> ASCII representations of these objects.
>
> It's not escaped our notice that binary files are not a good engineering solution!
>
> I hope that provides some context,

Yes, it does.  Thanks for the hint.  I tried to document this issue on a
newly created Wiki page

   https://wiki.debian.org/GNU_R

which hopefully might be helpful for future R packagers.

Ftpmasters, if you need some further information / clarification I
should put on the Wiki page, please let me know.

Kind regards and thanks again for your insight

    Andreas.