[Debian-med-packaging] status of meme Debian packaging

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Jan 15 11:06:49 UTC 2013

Hi Faheem,

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 04:07:30PM +0530, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> >You are correct that there is a glam2 package.  I was told (and never
> >checked myself!) that the glam code is not maintained separately any
> >more but inside the meme source tree.  That is actually the reason to
> >split up the glam binary into a separate binary package to provide a
> >reasonable upgrade path for glam users.
>
> Yes, I looked at the glam2 web page, and it says it is now part of
> MEME. So I guess the Debian glam2 package should be depreciated in
> favor of the MEME package. However, the version numbers would not
> make an upgrade automatic, since 4.9.0-1 < 1064-1.

I know about the versioning problem (which originated from a ineligible
versioning of the glam2 package - you should prefix commit numbers by
0.0.<commit> or something like this).  There are two ways to solve this:
Either use an epoch 1:4.9.0-1 > 1064-1 or we might drop the idea to have
a separate glam2 package and make meme Provides/Conflicts/Replaces
glam2.  This needs to be decided - you see, the package is not yet
ready.

BTW, I updated SVN and

    http://people.debian.org/~tille/packages/meme/

to include the latest upstream patches.  It seems even after removing
the conflicting part from fix_plib_path it is not usefull anymore
because if you would apply the remaining part from SVN it breaks because
ETC_DIR is not defined any more.  It seems that also PLIB_DIR is not
used any more and so I deactivated the patch.  Please use the package
with care and report any problems.