[Debian-med-packaging] status of meme Debian packaging

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Jan 15 12:03:42 UTC 2013

Hi Charles,

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 08:30:57PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I would like to keep glam2 because MEME as a whole is non-free, and even if the
> glam2 sources in the meme package are still free, it is not allowed upload a
> free binary package that is built from a non-free source package.

Good point.  Perhaps this is another chuck of questions to meme
upstream:  What is the license of src/glam2* files.  It used to be
public domain - so IMHO as long as they do not state a separate license
for this code in their tarball their general license applies also to
glam2 code which makes the maintained code non-free and we need to stick
to the unmaintained PD code for the free package.  (the same applies to
src/filters/purge/*)

So we should discuss with upstream authors

  * free license for full meme code (did anybody asked yet?)
  * keeping glam2 part with PD license (we could create a
    get-orig-source target that unpacks + removes)

I'd really welcome if some user of meme could try to discuss this
licensing ussues to safe our time for technical details.