[Debian-med-packaging] r12859 - trunk/packages/ginkgocadx/trunk/debian

Dmitry Smirnov onlyjob at member.fsf.org
Mon Jan 28 11:37:16 UTC 2013

Hi Andreas,

good to hear from you. :)

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 20:12:29 Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Dmitry,
>
> very cool - many thanks for your work - I was about to start spending
> time into this and now I see it's done!

Your abilities to follow the changes in debian-med are truly awesome. I was
just going to write to you when I've noticed your reply.

> That's really great - thanks for this.

It's a pleasure. :)

There are many changes in this release and I think it's time to put it to
experimental. I put source package to

	http://mentors.debian.net/package/ginkgocadx

Would you be able to upload it when you have time?
I presume you've already seen the changes in repository... :)

What do you think?

> BTW, regarding the get-orig-source target:  A lot of these things could
> be done by using the enhanced / not yet officially available uscan
>
>    https://wiki.debian.org/UscanEnhancements
>
> IMHO the only thing that is not possible to do is the fix permissions
> thingy (but this should be reported upstream anyway.  If you are
> interested in these uscan enhancements you might like to check this out.

Thanks for reminding me about it. I've seen your effort regarding improving
uscan but frankly I wasn't following it closely.

I prefer get-orig-source to direct uscan invocation because the latter
requiring to keep too many command line arguments in mind. uscan have many
caveats especially if running from top-level directory with more than one
package in it or if current-working-directory is not where the package is.

When uscan uses its configuration file its behaviour becomes even less
straightforward.

After bumping to many troubles with uscan I started to put all the "correct"
arguments to get-orig-source which eventually become pretty much what it is
now. It'll be good when eventually most of the get-orig-source functionality
will be possible to do using uscan but in my get-orig-source target I already
pass 9 arguments to uscan and that's why get-orig-source was introduced in
first place -- to properly run uscan with all those arguments that I can't
quite memorise...

> Thanks again

You're welcome. :)

--
Regards,
 Dmitry Smirnov

---

Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think
and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because
of, the lack of evidence.
        -- Richard Dawkins